Monday 7 May 2007

Blogging from Prague

Whee! I get free internet service at the hostels =D I have so much to blog for this trip... mostly about the sights I've seen. It's my third day in Prague... and it's pretty nice. I prefer Vienna though... might be due to the not-so-sunny weather over here. Will blog about what I did yesterday... running out of time! I gotta eat brekkie soon ^_^

Day 2 in Prague

Had breakfast at the hostel... it wasn't very fantastic (pictures lie!) Encountered something interesting though... there was this british woman talking about how she saw a couple having sex in a dorm, with their best friend wanking just above them. Really crude eh? Some people can be sooo sick... ugh.

We saw the National museum first. It was quite a sight... kinda char though. I liked the fountain in front of it. Wenceslas Square was close to the museum... think it would be much nicer at night. It looked really colourful on a postcard... strangely, I didn't see a lot of shops lining it.

There was the Municipal house and powder gate. The Municipal house was lavishly decorated... kinda grand on the outside. It was quite out of place though... especially beside the powder gate. The gate, on the other hand, wasn't that bad (not like how the rest described it).

St James church was closed but we could peek in. I saw some of the paintings inside and they were really excellent. Reminded me of the St Peter's church in Vienna...

Old town Square was busy busy busy. Lots of tourists gathering around the astronomical clock. The clock was interesting... you see throngs of people trying to take photographs with it. We chilled at a restaurant at the square when it started raining... had some really good ravioli!

Tyn Church was closed too! (sundays are eeky) It looked pretty impressive on the outside. It seemed rather dark and gothic... close to looking haunting.

Went to Charles Bridge... my favourite! I really liked it... we could see the Prague castle on the bridge. There were make shift stalls on both sides of it... with artists doing caricatures for tourists. The atmosphere on the bridge was simply wonderful... I just felt really happy crossing it lol.

Bumped into Ming and Cheryl when we were heading to the St Nicholas Church. There were two other Singaporeans SMU graduates with them. THey had a guided tour so they covered quite a few sights (with informative narrations). They left for Krakow last night so I guess we'll only see them in Lund!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charles Bridge is my lovely sights, it is the oldest bridge in the city. Thirty statues of saints line the bridge. It seems like all roads lead to Charles Bridge, meaning all tourists seem to end up here at the same time each afternoon, making the bridge at times the place NOT to be if you have an aversion to crowds not to mention a dream to pickpockets. But early morning or in the evening the bridge can be a magical place to visit. We spent a couple of hours standing near the bridge one evening, waiting for the sun to set to try and take that elusive night shot of the bridge. Restaurants and Prague hotels which are situated close to this bridge are the most expensive in the city. Day & night, from far away or on top of it this bridge looks great and is car free. Yet best to cross it as early as possible unless you want to warm up in a tourist crowd. Do you recognize the scenes of Mission Impossible shot here?

Anonymous said...

Hey :)
Yeah, Prague is really beautiful, I´ve been living here for 17 years and I like this place...But there are some "but" too :)